Who doesn’t like sweets? The cuisine of Tenerife is not only varied fish or meat dishes, but also amazing desserts. If you are a foodie and you like you enjoy typical delicacies, surely you will love canarian desserts. Here is a set of the most popular and the most delicious Canarian sweets and cakes:
- Quesillo: A popular dessert based on eggs and condensed milk with caramel topping. It can be served with whipped cream. You will lick your fingers!
- Bienmesabe: Literally means “taste good to me”. This is a kind of Canarian dessert made with almonds, eggs and sugar. Additional ingredients may be lemon and drop of alcohol (wine or sherry). It’s the perfect addition to ice cream or yogurt.
- Principe alberto: One of the tastiest desserts from Canary Islands. A little reminiscent of the Italian tiramisu, but instead of mascarpone cheese it contains chocolate mousse with cream, almonds and walnuts + layered biscuits.
- Frangollo: This is a delicious dessert from Tenerife. Made with milk, corn flour, eggs, lemon, sugar, almonds and raisins.
- Gofio Mousse: A popular dessert with roasted flour, sour cream, sugar, lemon peel, almonds and cinnamon.
- Huevos moles: A kind of mousse made with yolk, sugar, water and cinnamon. It is served cold in special cups.
- Truchas: Sweet dumplings fried in deep oil and sprinkled with sugar. The original recipe includes a filling with sweet potato and almonds, but in stores you can find the “industrial” version with cabello de angel (angel’s hair) obtained from a special type of pumpkin. This is a typical Canarian Christmas delicacy.
If you do not belong to the group of people who are counting calories you should try all these sweets. If you take care of your diet you still have to try them anyway 😉