What to eat in Tenerife
If you like to eat well, you will love Tenerife. Here cuisine is varied and local dishes and wines are worth to try. Canarian cuisine is based on fish and seafood, but there are also dishes with rabbit, pork, beef and poultry.
Here is a list of the most popular dishes and snacks which, being in Tenerife, you have to try.
- Papas arrugadas con mojo rojo – these are small potatoes in shell cooked in salt served with mojo sauce. Mojo is a traditional sauce with olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper (mojo rojo – the red one) and mojo verde / green is made with coriander. This sauce is also used in addition to fish or meat, etc.
- Ropa Vieja – a stew of chickpeas, onions, tomatoes and fried potatoes. This dish is related with a legend, but this will be explained in the next article 😉
- Conejo con salmorejo – rabbit in a spicy tomato sauce.
- Gofio – a kind of flour from toasted cereal grains (wheat, barley, rye), or corn with a specific smell, color and taste. This versatile product can be purchased at any grocery store. Gofio is used in addition to many dishes, and sometimes it is their main ingredient. Baked bread from it, added to the milk or coffee, soups, desserts or ice cream. In Tenerife is popular the “Pelota de gofio” or beads formed from hot water and gofio with the addition of sugar, dried fruits or nuts.
- Barraquito coffee – is a powerful espresso drink with condensed milk, lemon zest and liqueur.
- Arepas – they are popular on the islands, although their origins are from Venezuela and Colombia. This is a fried corn bread, served warm and filled with different toppings – from cheese to meat, vegetables and mushrooms or seafood.
It is worth remembering that in the island, apart from the traditional Canarian dishes, you can taste typical Spanish food and snacks such as:
- Fuet and jamon serrano – is a type of smoked sausage and dried ham
- Tapas – small snacks served warm or cold. They are prepared with different ingredients: vegetables, meat, seafood. The bars usually offer them after ordering a drink, as a tradition from the southern Spain.
- Montaditos – Another type of Spanish tapas. It’s a kind of small sandwiches, served with toppings such as ham, tuna, tomato and herbs. Many venues offer montaditos with a glass of beer for 1 or 2 euros.
- Paella – a world famous dish made of rice, vegetables and seafood or rabbit / poultry
In Tenerife there is not only good food, but also a good wine list. The island grows a lot of vines, the most popular is the Listan Negro, Listan Blanco and Malvasia.